This Halloween, keep spiders out of your home!
Why do I keep seeing spiders in my home?
The sight of spiders in the home is usually met with disgust. Something about the sight of them can be downright unsettling. Spiders are a common household pest, but if you're seeing more of them than usual, it could point to a different problem.
Colder weather in New York City and Long Island often heralds the appearance of more pests inside, as they're looking for food and shelter from the changing outdoor conditions. But colder weather isn't always the main reason why you'll see more spiders in your home. Oftentimes, the presence of spiders means that there are other pests in your home, sometimes ones you don't even see.
Spiders eat insects rather than human food. So, chances are, if you're seeing more of them than usual, they're busy doing some in-house pest control of their own. Most spiders don't bite, and 98 percent are harmless to humans.
Spiders often show up in places where they are not wanted, such as in bedrooms, bathrooms and family rooms, and their webs can be a nuisance. If you want to get rid of the spiders infesting your home, one of the first steps to take is to pest-proof your home so that they can't find a source of food. You can also take a more direct approach by looking for and eradicating them specifically.
What can I do to help prevent spiders from my home?
- Do you have bright lights in your yard drawing insect to your home? This will attract insects which is food for the spiders.
- Seal them out quick is easy and is considered a Green approach to Pest Control.
- Minimize "people food" in your home that insect tend to feed on. This step will deter spiders from wanting to be in your home.
- Keep foliage away from your home.
- Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum. Keep up with cobwebs and spider nests. Pay attention to the corners especially those dark and hard to get to areas.
- Make sure that your door and window screen do not have any holes in them.
If you're experiencing a spider infestation in NYC or Long Island, don't hesitate to call us and request a free estimate. At Magic Exterminating, we have 65 years of experience dealing with pests of every kind, and we can help you solve your spider or any other pest problem.