What attracts mice?
Like most pests, mice and rats are drawn to three things that are readily available right inside your home: food, shelter, and warmth. With access to these, you can be sure rodents will gladly make their way inside and stay there for as long as possible. The key to preventing rodents is to limit the things that attract them in the first place. Here’s how:
- Prevent rodents from getting indoors in the first place.
- Avoid a cluttered environment that could harbor nests.
- Clean up food spills and seal your garbage.
- Regularly inspect your property for signs of rodents.
How do Rats Get Inside?
The best way to prevent rats and mice inside is to pinpoint how they’re getting indoors in the first place. Rodents are known for their ability to squeeze their way indoors very easily. Small house mice can fit into holes that are just 5 mm wide, making any tiny crack or crevice a vulnerability. Rats, on the other hand, are known to climb nearby trees and trellises to get to the roof of your property. From there, they can enter through soffits, vents, and any other opening that is larger than about ½ inch. Some rats, like the Norway rat, will burrow beneath your property and get indoors that way.
Do You Have a Rodent Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
What Do Rats & Mice Eat?
Rodents are scavengers and can eat just about anything they get access to. If you have food crumbs in your kitchen—or unsealed garbage cans in your garage—you can be sure rodents are going to take advantage and seek out more food inside your home. The foods that rats and mice are most drawn to are as follows.
- Rats: As bigger rodents, rats will eat more. They’ll also eat just about anything, but are especially attracted to meats, pet food, cheeses, fish, nuts, and garbage.
- Mice: While most mice are indeed omnivores, they tend to stick to grains, vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, and more.
Are You Attracting Mice and Rats to Your Home?
No one wants to have nuisance rodents in their home, but the reality is that many home or business owners don’t take the precautions to keep rodents away in the first place. By implementing prevention measures and exclusion services from your local rodent exterminator, you can make sure your Flushing NY property is not attractive to rats or mice.